Marriage Licenses and Requirements


Please e-mail applications and documents to a clerk listed below and contact them with any questions.  Clerks will e-mail the draft licenses to you for approval and at that time will set up an appointment for you to come in to sign the license.  Any applications sent to the clerks after 12:00 pm Friday will be processed the next week. Thank you.

How to Apply for a Marriage License:

Cranston City Hall - Room 207
Monday – Friday 8:30 am until 4 pm (must have appointment)

• One of the parties must be a Cranston resident.
• When both parties are out of state residents must apply in the city/town where the marriage will take place.
• Both parties must be 18 years of age. (if under 18 see Minor’s Permit below)
• Application may be completed on line BUT MUST BE SIGNED IN OFFICE.
• Both parties must appear in person (but may come in separately to sign)
• License fee is $24.00. License is valid for three months, and if not used must be returned to the City Clerk.
• Both parties must be 18 years of age. (if under 18 see Minor’s Permit below)
• The license is issued when you come in, there is no waiting period.
• The license is valid only in Rhode Island

What you need to bring

• Governmental issued photo ID with proof of residency. (valid driver’s license).
• Birth certificate, full copy, IS REQUIRED. Refugees who cannot obtain their birth records may present a passport or alien card subject to verification by Immigration.
• If not a first marriage, proof of dissolution of prior marriage(s)
In the form of either a certified copy of Final Judgment or Court annulment.
If by death, a certified copy of the deceased’s death certificate.

Minor’s Permit to Marry

If both parties are over 16 but under 18, a minor’s permit VS10 must be obtained.
Both parents must appear in person and accompany each minor to give written consent in the presence of the City Clerk. In cases of divorce where a parent has sole custody, that parent must sign. Proof of sole custody must be provided in the form of a certified Final Judgment.

If either minor is under the age of 16, a Family Court Order must be obtained before a Minor’s Permit to Marry will be issued. A certified copy must be provided to the City Clerk.

Civil Unions in Rhode Island

Parties in an existing civil union issued in Rhode Island may either record the civil union as a marriage (for which there is no fee) or may apply for a marriage license ($24.00). Requirements see above. For additional information on civil unions or same sex marriages go to

For questions on marriages, births or deaths call:

Rose Zanni, at or 401-780-3194

Brittney Richards, at or 401-780-3236

Shelley Lariviere, at or 401-780-3197

Roberta Turchetta, at or 401-780-3192

Maria Carville at or (401) 780-3195